News

Gujarat Seeks EV Manufacturers to Market and Distribute Battery-Operated Vehicles

The Gujarat Energy Development Agency (GEDA) has invited manufacturers to market and distribute electric two-wheelers and three-wheelers in the state for expressions of interest (EoI).

The EoI was issued for the financial year (FY) 2020-21 under the battery-operated vehicles (BOVs) program of the GEDA, with state government subsidy. The tentative target for the FY 2021 marketing of electric two-wheelers in Gujarat is 2,000, and for the current year, GEDA can increase or decrease the number of vehicles. Likewise, the tentative target for three-wheeled electrics is 500 during the current financial year up to March 31, 2021.

The last bid submission date is July 10, 2020, and interested bidders will have to pay as the earnest money deposit (EMD) an amount of about 150,000 (~$1,978). The manufacturer should have adequate infrastructure facilities for the electric vehicles’ fabrication, marketing, and after-sales services. The work is due to be completed by 31 March 2021 and no work allocated to the manufacturer should be carried forward to the next financial year.
According to the document, the supplied vehicles should have a manufacturer ‘s comprehensive guarantee or warranty for a minimum period of three years, including an advanced battery.

In permanent establishment, the approved dealers must have a 3S facility (sales, supplies, and spares) fitted with a dedicated telephone facility and display board. The manufacturer should supply 50% of the vehicle

To promote environmentally-friendly vehicles, Gujarat’s government has implemented a program to distribute battery-operated vehicles, particularly two-wheelers, to grade 9 and above students.

Last year, GEDA also issued an EoI for the marketing and distribution authorisation of 100 battery-operated school vans in Gujarat by manufacturers.

Mercom reported sales of electric vehicles in India increased by 20 per cent in 2019-20 in April 2020. In the 2019-20 financial year, the EV industry sold 156,000 electric vehicles. The 20 per cent increase came mostly from two-wheelers with electrics. Of the electrical two-wheelers sold in FY19-20, 97% were electrical scooters and a very small volume of motorcycles and electrical cycles filled the rest of the 3%.

Comment here